Crab leg meat is succulent and sweet and has a relatively mild taste. It is said that Alaska’s red king crabs from Bristol Bay have the reputation of being one of the best tasting crabs in the world. Although cooking crab legs are popular in many restaurants, many people assume that crab legs are difficult to prepare, but surprisingly crag legs are not difficult as you expect. In fact, cooking crab legs is basically a matter of properly heating course.
Alaskan Red King Crab Legs
Select & Buy Crab Legs
1. Before buying, you should select the right crab legs. Make sure that your crab legs are nice and firm to the touch.
2. Find the legs with joins that are easily movable. You don’t want legs that have hard to move joins because it will give difficult time when you are going for the meat.
3. Also make sure that the crab legs are not smell like fish because the smell indicated that the legs is old. Choose the ones that smell fresh like the sea water.
4. If you do plan on buying crab legs, try not to buy the ones that have been thawed, because they will lose their freshness. So try to buy the frozen crab legs or pre-cooked ones.
5. Most crab legs, such as King Crab and Snow Crab legs sold in the United States are precooked and then frozen. All you need to do next is heat them up and it will be ready to eat.
Cooking Crab Legs
As you might have guessed, there are a variety of ways for cooking crab legs. Steaming, boiling and baking are among the most common. With these methods, crab legs take only 4 to 8 minutes to reheat. Keep in mind that unless you have purchased a live crab, the crab legs in front of you usually have already been cooked. Be careful not to overcook the crab as it will reduce the prized texture and taste.
1. If you would like to choose steaming when cooking crab legs, to start with, pour 2 cups of water in a steamer or a large pot and add 1 tablespoon of salt.
2. Add the crab legs onto a rack in the bottom of the pan. Begin timing as the water starts to boil again
3. You need to steam the crab legs for 5 to 7 minutes, until you begin to smell their aroma. Make sure not to overcook the legs as they have already been cooked once.
4. Remove from the heat and serve hot with melted butter and lemon wedges.
1. To boil crab legs is also an easy way of cooking crab legs. First, half fill a large saucepan with water and add a tablespoon of sea salt. And if you wish, you can make it seasoning to your taste.
2. Bring the water to the boil and then drop the crab legs in. At this moment, reduce the heat slightly and allow the crab legs to simmer and heat up for 5 to 7 minutes.
3. When the time is up, remove from the water and rinse the crab legs. Serve it hot as the main dish of tonight.
After cooking crab legs using your preferred method, the only thing left is to tuck in and enjoy eating them. Some people use nutcrackers to break the shell of the crab legs in order to get to the delicious meat, otherwise hammers, pliers, knives or simply forks can also be employed.
Fresh Alaskan King Crab Serving