What is a buckle? It is an old fashioned cake with a single layer and a streusel-type topping. This sweet treat makes a perfect surprise for those special occasions.
For the cake:
- 2 cups and 1-2 Tbsp of sifted, all purpose flour separated
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pint blueberries
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup sifted all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch springform pan.
- Sift together 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder and ½ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Fluff up the ¼ cup butter and ¾ cup sugar for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the egg. Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the ½ cup milk.
- Toss the berries in with the remaining flour and fold in.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Set aside.
- Mix ingredients for the topping using a fork to make a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake for 1 hour. Check if an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If not, allow another 5 to 10 minutes to bake.
- When the cake is cool, run a knife around the edges of the pan and life the cake out.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Leave a Reply