The Cubano or the Cuban sandwich is the answer of the Latinos to the traditional American grilled ham and cheese sandwich. As such, the two main ingredients remain constant: cheese and slices of ham. If desired, a variation can be made by playing with the ratio of the two ingredients with each other.
The Cuban sandwich recipe for today is more to the “meaty” side as roast pork is used for the filling.
- 1 loaf of Cuban Bread or French Baguette
- 1 lb of cooked and sliced ham
- 1 lb of roasted and sliced pork
- ½ lb of sliced Swiss cheese
- Mayonnaise and/ or mustard
- Before assembling the sandwich, preheat the frying pan over medium heat.
- Cut the loaf in the ideal size and start assembling the sandwich. Spread the mayonnaise on the bread layer the meats alternately with slices of cheese.
- Once the sandwich is assembled, coat the frying pan with oil or non – stick spray.
- Put the sandwich on top of the hot pan and flatten it with the use of a clean heavy skillet. To achieve the ideal color, you may want to leave the skillet on top of the sandwich for at least one to 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn the bread.
- Turn the sandwich over and repeat step number 4.
- Serve while hot.
Leave a Reply