Vegetarians go for plant-based food options, of course. But for some people who think that vegetarian meals are not enjoyable at all, well this veggie burger recipe can prove you wrong.
- 2 1/2 cups sprouted garbanzo beans (chickpeas) OR
canned garbanzos, drained and rinsed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 onion, chopped
- Grated zest of one large lemon
- 1 cup micro sprouts, chopped (try broccoli, onion, or alfalfa sprouts – optional)
- 1 cup toasted (whole-grain) bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (or clarified butter)
- Steam sprouted garbanzos until tender for about ten minutes (ff you are using one). – For those using canned beans, combine these with eggs and salt in a food processor.
- Puree the mixture until you get a very thick, slightly hummus product.
- Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and add in the cilantro, onion, zest, and sprouts. Stir in the breadcrumbs and let it sit for a few minutes to allow the crumbs to absorb the mixture.
- Moist the mixture with a little water to form them easily into one and a half inch patties.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium fire. Add four patties, cover, and cook until the bottoms begin to brown.
- Turn the patties to the other side and cook until golden brown. Remove the patties from skillet and drain the excess oil.
- Cut each patty in half. Insert your favorite vegetarian filling and serve
- immediately. This makes 12 mini burgers.
Leave a Reply