Banana Chiffon Cakes are perfect desserts that can be matched with vanilla ice cream or cold frosting. At times, the cake is topped with white or brown frosting made from brown sugar or you may just sift confectioner’s sugar on top.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ½ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 7 large egg whites
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 large ripe banana
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup cold water
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
- Using a large bowl, mix baking powder, flour, salt and sugar together.
- Mash the banana in a separate container.
- Mix oil, egg yolks, vanilla and almond extract into cold water.
- Combine the liquid mixture with the powdered mixture and blend until everything is smoothed out.
- In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites and the cream of tartar together.
To know when to stop beating, the mixture should be creating stiff peaks when lifted from the bowl.
- Mix in the batter with the frothy egg whites and cream of tartar by folding in the batter. This should be done slowly and gently so as not to over-mix.
- Pour in the batter into the baking pan and bake for 55 minutes.
- Let it cool and dust with sugar or use frosting. A unique touch would be to use brown frosting.
Leave a Reply