This is what to reach for when you want a full meal. This classic preparation keeps the barley soup healthy and flavorful as you can add any vegetable of choice. It is easy to make and leaves almost nothing to clean up afterward. You can even have this as a substitute for a main course.
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup each of any type of desired vegetables
- 1 cup barley
- 2 ribs celery finely chopped and diced
- 8 to 10 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup white beans, soaked and dried
- 1/3 cup finely crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian spice mix
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- In a large saucepan, cook the onion in the oil over medium heat. Add finely chopped celery and diced carrots along with other vegetables of choice. Allow it to simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add 8-10 cups of vegetable broth and other ingredients such as white beans, bay leaves, basil , thyme, and of course, the barley.
- Allow it to seethe for few more minutes while you stir it from time to time until the barley softens.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and other seasonings you may find necessary. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply