Brunswick stew is a favorite among southerners because it can be made with any kind of meat. It’s a very popular dish that can be served at barbecues. It’s also very nutritious because it makes use of different kinds of vegetables.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds chicken parts
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups water
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound fresh lima beans
- 1/2 cup okra
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Use a heavy stockpot or a Dutch oven to cook this dish. Sauté copped onions in bacon grease.
- Add the chicken parts that were already seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Make sure that you brown the chicken parts evenly on all sides. Then pour out the excess fat from the pan
- Add the water, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and a splash of sherry to the chicken
- Slowly cook the dish over low heat for about half an hour
- If you’re satisfied with the consistency of the stew, add your vegetables to the pot
- Allow to simmer for about an hour. Make sure that you keep it cooking over low heat
- Before you decide to take the pan off the heat, add the butter and allow to melt
- You can then serve this dish hot
Serves 4 – 6.
Leave a Reply