There is nothing better than a plate of homemade buttermilk biscuits. Too bad for us, canned biscuits have taken their toll and are slowly pushing homemade biscuits away. This recipe for fluffy buttermilk biscuits is a Southern-style mix for the best in homemade goodies to guarantee you will never look at canned biscuits again.
- 1 ¼ cups cake flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup butter
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut butter into small chunks and place in the fridge.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients together and mix thoroughly. Take butter from fridge and rub into the mixture with your hands. Batter should look like a course dough with small lumps no larger than the size of a pea.
- Pour buttermilk into mixture and stir lightly with a fork until batter becomes a lumpy dough.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a wooden board. Knead dough lightly on the board only until all the flour has been well-blended.
- Using your hands, flatter dough into a circle that is one inch thick. Cut smaller circles into the dough using a cookie cutter. Do not re-roll the leftover batter into the dough as this will result in hard biscuits. Form biscuit-like shapes with your fingers instead.
- Set biscuits close to each other on a baking sheet and pour melted butter on top of each.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until biscuits turn golden brown.
- Place them on a wire rack to cool afterwards.
Leave a Reply