A caponata is an Italian side dish, sometimes also served as an appetizer or main course. There are two famous kinds of caponata – the Sicilian and the Naples “Caponata Estiva” (Summer Caponata). The usual ingredients to this cooked salad are celery, vinegar, and capers set in a sweet and sour sauce. Here is a caponata recipe that you can actually make in a microwave oven:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 eggplant, cubed
- 1 large stalk celery, cubed
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives, quartered
- 1/2 cup pimiento stuffed olives quartered
- 1 1/2 teaspoon drained capers
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Mix oil and onion in a large bowl that is microwave safe.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap with one corner vented.
- Set microwave on high and cook for 9 minutes, checking and stirring the
mixture every 3 minutes.
- Add in the celery to the mixture and cover the bowl again, still with a vent on one corner.
- Microwave the celery, oil, and onion mixture on high for 4 minutes.
- Add in eggplant, replacing the cover and the vent.
- Microwave on high for another 9 minutes, checking on the mixture and stirring every 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, replace the cover and vent.
- Microwave on high for about 13 to 15 minutes or until boiling.
- Take the bowl out of the microwave and let it cool to room temperature, while stirring occasionally and replacing the cover.
- This recipe will make 5 servings and can be stored in the refrigerator for a month.
Leave a Reply