Here is a recipe you can make and enjoy at home without having to spend on readily made pate’ you usually find in fancy places.
- 1/2 pound of well trimmed chicken livers
- 1/2 an onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon of thyme leaves
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup of water
- A stick and a half of unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons of scotch whisky or cognac
- Freshly ground pepper
- Baguettes, toasted bread slices or crackers for serving
- Combine the first five ingredients with half a teaspoon of salt and a half cup of water in a saucepan. Leave it to simmer for a few minutes.
- Cover the saucepan and keep cooking over low heat, stirring occasionally until the liver is done. It will take approximately 3 minutes to turn the livers from pink to brown.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and leave covered for about 5 more minutes to let the livers cook through and become tenderer without having to overcook it.
- Transfer the livers, garlic and onion on to a food processor using a slotted spoon. Mix the ingredients until coarsely pureed.
- Add the butter, 2 tablespoons at a time while the food processor is still in motion. When completely incorporated, add the whiskey or cognac, season the pate mixture with salt and pepper and keep processing until the pate is smooth.
- Scrape the pate on to ramekin and cover with cling wrap. Refrigerate for a few minutes until firm, serve it chilled with your choice of baguettes, crackers or tasted bread.
Leave a Reply