This particular coconut chiffon cake recipe is an interesting mixture of coconut, cream cheese and marshmallow crème. The preparation itself for baking or the “active time” requires only 15 minutes.
- 6 large egg whites
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 can lite unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 18 drops of yellow food coloring
For the Coconut frosting
- ¾ cup marshmallow crème
- ¾ cream cheese frosting
- 1 ½ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and ready a 10-inch baking tube pan with a removable bottom.
- You will first make the cake. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed. Continue with the beating until it become frothy and soft peaks form.
- Slowly add in the sugar while beating more slowly. Continue this until the mixture becomes glossy and stiff.
- In another container, combine the white cake mix, oil, coconut milk, coconut extract and yellow food coloring. The yellow food coloring is added to capture the rich color of coconut shells.
- Fold in the egg white and sugar mixture into the baking mix an combine until everything is blended in.
- Pour the mixture into the ungreased pan, waiting for it to settle.
- Bake for 1 hour until ready (use cake testers to see if the middle is well-done).
- Mix the marshmallow creme and cream cheese frosting and spread evenly on the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle the flaked coconut on top.
- Chill and serve.
Leave a Reply