This recipe makes a rich, moist, and delicious loaf. It keeps well and makes a nice breakfast when toasted.
- 1 1/2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 1/4 cups boiling water
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dissolve 3 teaspoons baking soda in the 2 ¼ cups boiling water. Soak the 1 ½ cups pitted and chopped dates in the water and baking soda solution for about 30 minutes.
- Mix 2 cups white sugar and 3 tablespoons butter or
margarine together. Blend in the 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, dates, 1 cup chopped walnuts, 4 ½ cups of flour, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Divide the batter evenly into two 9×5 inch greased loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour at 300 degrees F. You can check for the doneness of the bread using a toothpick or a fork and sticking into the bread. If it comes out clean then it means your bread is done.
- Let cool.
- Freeze if preferred.
Leave a Reply