Homemade English muffins are so much better than any store bought muffins. Surprise your loved ones with this special and delicious treat!
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1/4 cup melted shortening
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Warm the milk in a saucepan until it bubbles. Quickly remove from the heat.
- Add in the sugar while stirring until it is completely dissolved. Let cool until it becomes lukewarm.
- Using a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Let it stand until it becomes creamy. This will take you about 10 minutes.
- Using a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening and the 3 cups of flour. Beat the mixture until it is smooth. Add the salt, the rest of the flour, or just enough of it to make a soft dough. Knead the dough. Place it in a greased bowl.
- Cover the bowl and allow the dough to rise.
- Punch the dough down. Roll it out to ½ inch thick. Cut round using a biscuit cutter, a drinking glass, or an empty tuna can. Sprinkle cornmeal on a waxed paper and se the rounds on the paper to rise. Sprinkle cornmeal on top of the muffins. Cover and let it rise for about half an hour.
- Heat the greased griddle. Cook the muffins on the griddle for about 10 minutes on each side using medium heat.
- Keep the baked muffins in a warm oven until you are finished cooking. Allow the muffins to cool and store in plastic bags.
To use, split the muffins and toast.
Leave a Reply