Fried Dough is considered as a dessert or a sugary snack. In the US and Canada, it is typically regarded as one of the staples at a State Fair. They are usually use cinnamon, honey, or sugar as toppings.
- ½ cup warm water
- 5 teaspoons yeast
- pinch of sugar
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 3−4 cups unbleached or all purpose flour
- oil for frying
- Combine together warm water, yeast, and a dash of sugar and mix thoroughly in a bowl.
- Let stand for some minutes to let the yeast rise.
- Add the remaining ingredients such as eggs, sugar, vanilla, milk, salt, oil, all-purpose flour. Stir to form soft dough.
- Work with the dough for 5 to 8 minutes, adding small amounts of flour as considered necessary in order to make firmer and smooth dough.
- Place the dough in a greased or floured bowl. Put the bowl with dough inside a plastic bag and close. You can put it in the refrigerator if it will not be use right away. Otherwise, if you will bake it now, allow it to rise while in the plastic bag.
- Slice the dough into desired size. Roll it to form thin elongated shapes.
- Place it on baking sheet with wax paper and cover for 15 minutes.
- In a fryer, heat the oil and then fry the dough. Once they puff up, turn it on the other side and continue to fry.
- Drain the excess oil using thick paper towels.
- In a separate bowl, fill it with sugar and roll the fried dough until it is fully covered.
- You can substitute the sugar for your favorite jams like strawberry or orange marmalade.
Leave a Reply