This recipe for your favorite hard rolls is quick and easy to make. It makes very crusty hard rolls just the way you like it. May take a long time to prepare but the outcome is definitely worth the wait.
For the starter:
- 1/2 c warm water
- 1 c flour
- 1/8 tsp yeast
For the dough:
- all of starter
- 3 1/2 c flour
- 1 c warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp yeast
- To make the starter, combine all the starter ingredients in a bowl. Cover the bowl and allow the mixture to rise over night.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients with the pre-made starter.
- Allow the dough to rise for 3 hours, punch it down and turn it over after one hour. Repeat after 2 hours.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces.
- Shape the pieces into balls and make them firm by rolling them under your cupped fingers. Do this on an un-floured surface.
- Put the rolls on parchment lined baking sheet. Cover the rolls and allow to rise for 1 ½ hours.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight, if preferred.
- Remove from the refrigerator then brush with ½ cup water mixed with 1 egg white.
- Slash a ¼” cut across each top of the rolls.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
- For extra crunchy rolls, let cool in turned off oven with the oven door left open.
Leave a Reply