This traditional Easter morning delight is very easy to make.
This recipe is a scaled down version and makes six delicious hot cross buns.
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash ground allspice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
For the icing:
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon 2% milk
- Using a small mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the milk. Add in butter, egg, sugar, and salt. Combine ¾ cup of flour, raisins, currants, cinnamon and allspice.
- Add this to the yeast mixture and beat well. Stir in the rest of the flour or just enough to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough on to a floured surface. Knead the dough until it becomes elastic and smooth. Do this for about 4 to 6 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turn it once to grease all over. Cover the dough and allow it to rise in a warm place until it doubles. This should take about an hour.
- Punch the dough down and shape into six pieces of 2 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart from each other on a baking sheet that is coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut a cross on top of each bun using a sharp knife. Cover again and allow the dough to rise until it doubles. This will take about 30 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolk and water. Then brush it over the buns. Bake the buns at 375 degrees F for 13-15 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- Let cool on wire racks. Combine the icing ingredients and then piper over the buns.
Leave a Reply