This recipe is spicy lamb burger with coriander, tomato, and yogurt relish. This is perfect for grilling, and you can enjoy this during your outdoor picnics or parties.
For the burgers:
- 1kg or 2¼lb minced lamb (it’s best not to use extra-lean mince as the fat will help bind the burgers and keeps them juicy when cooked)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp mango chutney
- 3cm/1¼in piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 red chili, de-seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- oil, for brushing
- flat bread, pita bread or burger buns, to serve
For the relish:
- 6 ripe tomatoes, quartered, de-seeded and diced
- 200g/7oz tub of Greek yogurt
- bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- Place the lamb in a mixing bowl. Add the garlic, onion, mango chutney, ginger, chili, turmeric, coriander, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper and mix using the hands until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 8 to 10 burgers and shape them into burger patties. Put them in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Brush a little oil on a grill to prevent the burgers from sticking. Barbecue the sides of the patties over medium heat for about five minutes on each side.
- In another bowl, mix together tomatoes, yogurt, coriander, onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve this mixture with the burgers as a dipping sauce or spread it inside bread buns and put the burger in. You can add seeded cucumbers and sliced tomatoes inside the buns if you like.
Leave a Reply