Lemon chiffon cakes are made up of lemon sponge cakes and frosting on top. This particular recipe is a special cake made up of layers of lemon sponge and lemon curd. While lemon chiffon cakes use merely lemon zest, this recipe incorporates lemon curd and lemon juice. This will take a little longer in preparation, about 45 minutes.
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 8 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups lemon curd
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix cream of tartar, salt and egg whites. Beat using electric mixer until it becomes foamy and frothy.
- Gradually add half a cup of sugar until the soft peaks become stiff and glossy.
- In a separate container, beat the egg yolks. Beat until the color becomes light and lemon-like. This will probably take around 3 minutes.
- Like the first mixture, slowly add remaining sugar. Add flour and lemon juice.
- Pour in the egg whites and fold into yellow mixture.
- Put everything into a 10 inch pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Invert the cake and let it cool.
- Beat the whipping cream until it thickens slightly. Add ½ cup of the lemon curd and beat the together for a minute. Refrigerate to let it cool.
- Slice the cake to make 3 layers. Spread half of the remaining lemon curd on the first layer. Top with the second and spread remaining lemon curd on it. Top with the last layer and spread the whipping cream frosting around the whole cake. Chill for at least an hour before cutting and serving.
Leave a Reply