A dish from the South with scrumptious goodness is the best way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon with the family. This recipe
for chicken croquettes is an honest-to-goodness Southern-style dish that will surely leave your taste buds yearning for more.
For the cake:
- 2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate
- 7 egg whites
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- ¼ cup hot water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
For the frosting:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 7 tablespoons whipping cream (heavy)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ confectioners’ sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- Make sure the eggs are at room temperature.
- Melt the unsweetened chocolate over low heat.
- Add hot water and ¼ cup sugar. Blend well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix baking soda, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in water, egg yolks, vanilla and oil. Whisk and beat them at medium speed until mixed well.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy and foamy.
- Fold the mixture into the batter.
- Fold the chocolate mixture into half of the batter.
- Spoon the plain batter first then the one with chocolate into the 10 inch tube pan. Continue alternating the batters and swirl with a knife to create a cream and chocolate colored swirl.
- Bake at 325 degrees for an hour or so.
- Invert and let cool.
- Melt semisweet chocolate and butter together then stir in the cream and vanilla.
- Remove from heat sift in sugar.
- Spread over the cake and serve.
Leave a Reply