There are a lot of recipes for Navy bean soup that can be found in cook books, cooking shows and even on the world wide web, but this recipe you are about to read is the basic Navy bean soup recipe. This version is the easiest to follow too. It is guaranteed that you will be mistaken as an expert chef once you tried this recipe in your own kitchen.
- 1 pound Navy beans
- 2 cups of diced smoked ham
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the Navy beans in a sauce pan filled with water. Make sure that the water is 2 inches above the beans. Boil the beans for 5-7 minutes.
- After bringing the beans into a boil, let it sit for at least an hour. Drain the water from the beans and set aside.
- Place a pot filled with water under medium heat. Add the bay leaf, smoked ham, chopped onion, garlic, celery and parsley. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans and have it half-mashed by pushing the beans with a spoon against the side of the pot. This action will allow the flavor of the beans to be intensified on the soup itself.
- Occasionally stir the beans so that it will not stick in the pot.
- Add tomatoes and salt and pepper. Then stir for 3 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Leave a Reply