Orange chiffon cakes are almost similar with an Angel cake in terms of presentation. They, however, definitely taste different. Like lemon chiffon cake, orange cakes use fruit zest and juice for taste.
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 2 ¼ flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup egg whites
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit or 165 degrees Celsius.
- Keep clean tube pan ungreased.
- Sift baking powder, flour, salt and sugar into the bowl.
- Make a well in the center and pour in egg yolks, orange juice, cooking oil, orange rind and vanilla. Mix together until the batter is well blended and a little stiff.
- In another container, beat the egg whites and the cream of tartar until they become very stiff.
- Fold the batter a fourth at a time into the egg whites. You may use an electric mixer beat the mixture until everything is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the tube pan and bake for 60 to 70
- Invert quickly and let cool. You may opt to serve it plain with a little dusting of confectioners’ sugar on top or spread some frosting on top and on the sides. You can even try to make your own orange-flavored frosting.
Leave a Reply