Popcorn chicken is a healthy and tasty food option. It forms one of the favorite pass-time snacks as well as a staple diet in many countries. A cone full of popcorn makes a movie-viewing much more interesting. You can watch your favorite show while munching the bites of buttery, crunchy and delightful popcorn. If desired, you can simply spice up your popcorn bowl. Both chicken and popcorn are available at almost every household. So it doesn’t call for an extra effort to grab a bowl of it. However, if you want to spice up a notch by making popcorn chicken, some amount of cooking skills are required and the right ingredients make the job a smooth sailing. One can bake or fry it along with the other ingredients.
- Chicken: 1/2 lb of boneless & skinless
- Flour: 1 1/2 tbsp
- Egg: 1
- Green chilies: 2 tbsp
- Shallots/onions: 1/4 cup
- Garlic: 2 tbsp
- Vegetable oil: sufficient for deep frying
- Salt: to taste
- Red-chili powder: 1 tsp
- Cumin powder: 1/2 tsp
- Chop the onions or shallots, green chilies and garlic separately and keep aside.
- Take the chicken and clean it neatly discarding the undesired fats and skins on it. Cut it into tiny pieces.
- In a bowl, combine the salt, cumin powder, chili powder and flour and water to make a thick smooth paste.
- Beat the egg and store in another bowl.
- Pour the beaten egg evenly allover the chicken-pieces and blend together well to coat all the chunks nicely.
- Heat oil in a skillet and start sliding the pieces into the oil. Fry the coated chicken-pieces in separate batches until they get golden brown in color. Flip them one by one to check the frying.
- Once done, remove the pieces onto a paper-towel to drain the excess fat.
- Fry the chopped green chilies, garlic and onion with a pinch of salt until brown and crispy. Drain the fried content onto a soaking paper towel.
- Serve the cooked popcorn chicken with the fried veggie mixture.
- The smaller the pieces are cut, the crunchier and crispier they will be.
- You can use any flour as per availability and taste.
- Cayenne pepper can replace the red-chilly powder.
- A bowlful of popcorn chicken can be served with boiled and mashed potatoes, biscuits, gravy or soups.
- Adding Cajun seasoning is also a good option to give the dish an extra flavor.
- If desired, you can coat the chicken with flour and then layer it with egg separately.
Leave a Reply