The recipe of Caldo Verde, better known as the Portuguese kale soup recipe, is something that everybody must try. And one can cook it on his or her own. Here is the list of ingredients and the directions for preparing it.
- A bowl of kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 6 cups beef stock
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 3 cups sliced spicy Portuguese sausage
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 1 cup diced turnips
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- Heat olive oil under medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Saute garlic, onions, carrots and turnips for five minutes.
- Include the kale, bay leaves, sausage, thyme and parsley. Stir well.
- Add the beef stock, tomatoes and beans and bring it to a boil.
- Lower the heat level to low and simmer for forty minutes.
- While simmering the mixture in a pot, boil salted water in a medium-sized pan and add potatoes. Cook the potatoes until it has become tender, approximately for ten minutes.
- Drain the potatoes then include them in the pot.
- Discard the bay leaves. Remove pot from the heat.
Leave a Reply