During spring, when salmon is in good supply, you can make salmon burgers. Superbly delicious, these burgers will be loved by one and all.
- 2¼ pounds salmon fillet, skinned and de-boned
- ½ cup scallions, minced
- Six sesame rolls or hamburger buns
- ½ cup Japanese bread crumbs
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Two teaspoons ginger, minced
- One teaspoon sambal oelek chili paste
- One teaspoon garlic, minced
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- Three cups purple cabbage, shaved
- Three cups green cabbage, shaved
- ½ cup red onion, shaved
- One egg, lightly beaten
- One teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- Kosher salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup plus 1½ teaspoons soy sauce
- Three tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Two teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- One tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Cut the salmon fillet into about 1-inch pieces and put it inside a food processor. Pulse the pieces till they are finely chopped. In a mixing bowl, add the chopped salmon, Japanese bread crumbs, ¼ cup of minced scallions, 2 tablespoons of cilantro, minced ginger, beaten egg, chili paste, garlic, ½ teaspoon of salt, and 1½ teaspoon of soy sauce. Mix all these ingredients together. Make sure they blend in well. Now divide this mixture into 6 portions. Form patties about 4-inch wide and ¾-inch thick out of this mixture. Lay them down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover them with a plastic wrap.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining soy sauce in a saucepan, along with sugar and cook the mixture for about 2-3 minutes. The content of the saucepan should turn into syrup. Remove it from the heat, and allow it to cool down. Once the syrup has cooled down, add about 1½ tablespoon of this soy glaze to the mayonnaise. Refrigerate the mayonnaise.
- Now, mix the purple cabbage, green cabbage, the remaining scallions, red onions, ¼ cup of vegetable oil, rice wine vinegar, 2 tablespoon of cilantro, sesame oil, ½ teaspoon of salt, and crushed red pepper together. Toss the mixture well, so that all the ingredients get mixed properly. Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on this mixture and refrigerate it.
- Put a skillet over medium heat, and add 2 tablespoons of oil in it. Season both sides of the salmon burgers with kosher salt and place them on the skillet. Cook them till both the sides turn golden brown in color. You can garnish the salmon burgers with soy mayonnaise and sesame slaw.
Leave a Reply