There are several ways to make salmon jerky, you can prepare it in a dehydrator, an oven, or even inside a smoker. Here we provide you with a simple, but tasty recipe for salmon jerky. You may add seasoning of your choice while making it.
- Salmon fillets, skinned
- One gallon water
- One cup un-iodized salt
- 2½ cups light brown sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a pot, mix un-iodized salt, soy sauce, and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, and keep stirring it so that all the brown sugar gets dissolved. Remove the pot from the heat, and allow it to cool down.
- Take the salmon fillets and make about ¼-½ inch strips out of it. The strips should be made lengthwise. Put these strips in salmon brine, and let the fish to marinate for about 8-10 hours. Once they have been marinated for the stipulated period of time, take the salmon strips out of the brine solution and clean it with fresh water. Clean it thoroughly so that no trace of brine is left on the strips. Pat them dry.
- In a dehydrator, spray some vegetable oil on the racks inside. Place the salmon strips on these racks. If you like your salmon jerky to be spicy, you can sprinkle cayenne pepper on the strips at this stage.
- Now dry the strips as per your liking, by following the instructions of the dehydrator’s manufacturer.
Leave a Reply