Sausages are mostly a Northern European delicacy. Pasta is basic Italian fare. So, to join pasta and sausages in one dish may seem a little odd for some. While it is true that there are a couple of types of Italian sausages, pasta in Italy is not usually paired with sausages. But of course, delineating of culinary borders and fusion of cuisines has brought the birth of sausage pasta dishes. So for everyone who wants a great pasta dish with sausages, here is a recipe.
- 3/4 lb pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Follow package directions in cooking the pasta. When the pasta already al dente, drain and set aside while preparing the sauce.
- In preparing the sauce, heat oil in a pan and add in the sausage until the sausage turns brownish and gets rid of its pinkish hue.
- Five minutes into cooking the sausage, add onion and garlic to the pan.
- Mix the pan contents with broth, basil and tomatoes.
- Add in the liquid of the tomatoes, don’t drain them.
- Simmer in medium heat for 5 minutes until the mixture is reduced slightly.
- Mix in the spinach and cover the pan. Simmer further in low heat until the spinach gets tender.
- Add the pasta once the spinach is tender and mix half of the cheese. Serve with remaining cheese on top.
Leave a Reply