This is a very simple dish to make, but is extremely tasty to eat. Although there are numerous variations that you can try with scalloped potatoes, that depends on your personal tastes. Here, we are providing you with the recipe for classic scalloped potatoes.
- Four Russet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- Three tablespoons butter
- One onion, thinly sliced
- Two tablespoons parsley, chopped
- One tablespoon chives, chopped
- Two slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2½ cups Swiss cheese, grated
- ½ Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2½ cup half milk & half cream
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven at a temperature of about 350 degrees F. Now, take a large casserole dish and butter the insides with about 1½ tablespoons of butter.
- Use about 1/3 of the sliced potatoes to layer the bottom of the casserole. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the potato slices. Now, place a layer of sliced onions on the top. Use about ½ of the sliced onions for this purpose. Place a layer of Swiss cheese on top, followed by a layer of about ½ of the cooked bacon, ½ of the chopped parsley and chives. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top-most layer.
- Repeat this process of layering one more time. If there are any potato slices left, place them on the top-most layer. Add half & half to the casserole, and then place small cubes of butter on the top layer in the casserole dish.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake it for about an hour. After one hour, remove the casserole dish from inside the oven. Remove the foil sheet and sprinkle the remaining Swiss and Parmesan cheese on the top layer of the casserole dish. Place the dish back inside the oven, and bake again for about 40 minutes this time.
- You can now serve the scalloped potatoes.
Leave a Reply