Streusel coffee cakes are great for family dinners and outdoor picnics. They are also easy to make and the ingredients are very affordable. The next time you decide to make a streusel coffee cake, let your children join in on the project. Baking – and eating! – Proves to be a time of quality time for the entire family.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsps baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sift flour and combine with baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Use a knife or spatula to cut shortening into the flour mixture. Mix constantly until it becomes a coarse lump.
- In a shallow bowl, pour buttermilk into beaten egg and mix. Pour buttermilk mixture into flour.
- Grease an 8-inch square cake pan and sprinkle with flour. Pour batter into pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, and chopped pecans. Mix until crumbly. This will serve as topping for the cake.
- Sprinkle the topping generously over the batter and bake in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool in racks before slicing and serving.
Leave a Reply