With this recipe, you can come up with your own version of authentic Japanese tempuras any day you want them. The secret to crisp, light golden tempuras is ice cold water. Make sure the water you use in this recipe is freezing cold. Drop an ice cube or two before adding to batter. Recipe is perfect for shrimp, vegetables, chicken, or other meats.
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup corn flour
- ½ cup ice-cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of sake (Japanese rice wine)
- In a large mixing bowl, put all the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Beat the egg then pour water in. Make sure that ice cubes have already melted before adding. Continue beating egg until mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Add sake to egg mixture.
- Using a strainer, sift flour mixture and add into egg mixture.
- Stir the entire mixture but not so thoroughly. A lumpy batter is best for tempuras.
- Roll shrimps, chicken, or vegetables into batter and deep fry until light golden brown or so desired. The light, crispy texture is a result of cooking cold batter in hot oil.
- Drain tempuras in paper towels and serve in doilies or white lace.
Leave a Reply