Tomato juice is not just a tasty drink, but it is healthy as well. The juice contains vitamins A and C. It is also known to contain the antioxidant Lycopene. When making tomato juice, you will get the best results if you use fresh home-grown tomatoes.
- Five pounds tomatoes
- One red onion, halved
- One celery rib
- One teaspoon sugar
- One teaspoon salt
- Pepper (to taste)
- Wash the tomatoes thoroughly and put them to dry. Then core and quarter them.
- In a pot, place the quartered tomatoes along with one half of the red onion as well as the celery rib. Cover the pot and cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes. Keep stirring the contents of the pot.
- Cook the onions in the pot till they become soft. After the tomatoes have been cooked, remove the onion and the celery from the pot. Pass the cooked tomatoes through a food mill. Discard the tomato solids that get collected in the food mill sieve.
- Rinse the pot in which you had cooked the tomatoes. Place the tomato juice in the pot again. Add one teaspoon of sugar and one teaspoon of salt to the juice. Add pepper as per your taste.
- Keep stirring the juice while it cooks. Bring it to a boil. Once the juice has boiled, reduce the heat and cook it for another five minutes.
- Cool the juice. You can even chill it if you wish. You are now ready to serve your tomato juice.
Leave a Reply