These are healthy light rolls which are mainly made from molasses and whole wheat flour. The rolls perfectly go well with stew or use in bunwiches, particularly roast beef.
- 4 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 12 ounces cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or molasses
- 3 tablespoon light melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, soften the yeast by adding warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Process the cottage cheese in a food processor for 20 seconds or until soft. Gradually add eggs, butter, and brown sugar. Mix until well blended.
- Blend the yeast mixture, whole wheat flour, and cottage cheese mixture. Add salt. And fold in the right amount of all-purpose flour to make a dough.
- Knead the dough on a flat, well-floured surface. Continue to knead for 10 minutes until smooth. To avoid the dough from sticking to hands, add the remaining flour, one teaspoon at a time.
- Use a cooking spray to coat the dough. Cover and set in a dry place to allow time for it to rise. Maximum time is around 45 minutes.
- Punch the dough, cover again and leave for another 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two and shape one part into 12 equal sized balls. Do the same to the other half.
- Grease the baking cups using a cooking spray and place the dough. Once finished cover and wait for 30 minutes until it doubled in bulk.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 375°.F preheated oven. Remove from pans.
Serve hot or mildly cold.
Leave a Reply