Onion rings are an ultimate American favorite dish. Saturday night parties, beach picnics with the family, and movie marathon nights with a loved one are never complete without onion rings. This recipe for onion rings batter is a tad fancier than the ordinary flour-and-eggs combination. Use this recipe to add a little spice to your all-time favorite comfort food.
- ½ cup dark beer
- ½ cup seltzer water or club soda
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 egg white
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup pastry flour
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Mix beer and seltzer water or club soda in a blender.
- Add pepper, salt, mustard powder, onion powder, and oil. Blend all ingredients together for a few seconds.
- Sift flour into the batter and blend until it has the consistency of pancake batter.
- Pour a tablespoon or two of water to lighten it up if mixture is too thick.
- In a large, shallow bowl, beat egg until light and fluffy. Pour batter from the blender into beaten egg and mix.
- To complete onion rings dish, take large, sweet onions and slice into rings. Soak onions in milk for 10 minutes then drain. Dust on some onion powder, then roll in batter until coated with a thin layer.
- Fry onion rings in medium heat for two minutes or until golden brown. Turn rings once for even cooking.
Leave a Reply